Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow Day


Woke up this morning to snow-covered trees and school cancellations. It's going to be a good day!

The Mom part of me looks forward to snowsuits, snowmen and hot chocolate. Gloves and hats drying by the kitchen fireplace, red cheeked children planning snow forts, snowball wars and snow angels. The smell of chocolate chip cookies in the oven, the crackle of a fire.

And then there's the attorney part of me that understands the realities that a snowstorm such as this brings. Slippery roads, icy conditions, idiot drivers trying to outwit Mother Nature. Unshoveled sidewalks, wet walkways, dangerous conditions.
I think of these things and a smile spreads across my thoughts. People getting injured, people getting hurt, people needing the assistance of a certain counselor at law who focuses on protecting the rights of injured people . . .

I no longer attempt to reconcile these two distinct parts of me - mother, lawyer. I understand that the two are not mutually exclusive and that together, they make me the person I am.

It is going to be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment